This is an old Gujarati thali dish that is extremely cheap and mostly eaten by poor homeless people in Pakistan. They know how to live it up. My mum has given me the recipe:
- 500g potatoes (any kind, mum doesn't discriminate); peeled, washed, sliced
- 1 tin chick peas (including liquid)
- 500ml water (or, 2 large glasses apparently [not pint glasses])
- 1 tsp black seeds (I'm assured that this is a real product)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 seeded chopped red chilli
- Put all the ingredients in a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender.
- Lightly mash the whole thing - just break some of the potatoes not all of them.
- Put corriander and chillies on top, mix it, cover it for a bit. Then eat it with puri or parantha.
Zero to delicious in 10 minutes.